Tuesday, February 20, 2007

How Technology Has Ruined Candy Hearts

With Valentine’s Day in the rearview mirror, I’ve been working my way through candy hearts as a mid-afternoon snack. You know the ones- little, colored, sugary hearts with red lettered endearments like “sweetie” or “my girl.”

At least, that’s what they used to say. Now they say, “Email Me,” “URA Tiger,” “ILU,” and “Fax Me.” Fax me? Even the candy heart has not been able to ignore technology. What I assume is “I Love You” has been shortened to a brief three-letter acronym, and while I’m ever so pleased to know IMA tiger, did we really need to replace the bygone sentiments of candy hearts? Perhaps society no longer understands phrases like “Be Mine” or “Call Me.” You can call me old-fashioned, but I think abbreviations should be reserved for text messages, not invading the food industry.

I wouldn’t have bothered to mention any of this, however, my last morsel this afternoon beckoned me to “Go Girl.” So there you have it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, romance is indeed being attacked by technology. Your candy hearts are yet another casualty. Valentines are replaced with text messages, love notes trumped by emails, and serenades devoured by links to YouTube. What's a hopeless romantic to do? Excuse me, I think I hear my cell phone playing our song.