Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Join a Social Network, Or Else

"If you don't belong to some kind of social network, you soon may not belong anywhere." So claims Daniel Tynan of US Airways magazine's "Our Digital Life."

Social networks come in all shapes and sizes. You can find one for almost any interest you have. Socializing online carries a number of conveneniences. Many networks involve leaving messages for others, which means you can squeeze it in whenever you have time. Chances are low that you'll experience that so-what-do-we-talk-about-now awkward silence that often occurs when meeting new people in the real world. It's a great way to have your questions answered, or learn how others have succeeded in a project you are currently facing.

Online social networks aren't exactly new, they've just evolved. I agree with Tynan that they can be valuable resources, but don't go just for the popularity factor, go for the experience.

4 comments:

J. said...

So on what social network can we find you? In my experience you need to juggle all your MySpace, Friendster, LinkedIn, Orkut and Facebook accounts to reach those in your networks of interest. There is no single point of entry and specialized media websites like Youtube, Flickr and Cellfish aren't making things better either.

Or is the blogosphere your network and are you already reaching all those you want to reach?

S.M. Hutchins said...

So far I've been content in the blogosphere, though I also enjoy the discussions at writersdigest.com, and recently uploaded pics to Webshots to share with my friends and family. I've visited MySpace, LinkedIn, and Gather, but haven't made the time to set up accounts. I'm sure someday soon I'll be finding the right place to plant my web roots. I will, undoubtedly, write about it when it happens.

For now, you can find me here or at On a lighter note....

What is your favorite social network?

J. said...

Actually I haven't figured that one out yet. I've registered myself on virtually every network I come across, but so far I've only managed to stay in touch with LinkedIn. And that's only because I can get something out of it (i.e. a better job), but you can hardly qualify that as 'social'.

I guess my definition of social is still holding a drink in my hand while talking to somebody face to face. Maybe behind this techie exterior, I'm just an old fashioned guy. Which is actually funny if you consider that my dear old dad is texting and mailing everybody like crazy.

S.M. Hutchins said...

Technology can be beautiful, but nothing can compare to face time.